2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jun 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Records

Registration Procedures

New Students

Applicants who have been admitted to a degree or certificate program will be invited by e-mail or mail to register for courses by the Admissions Office at a specified date and time. Students must call to set up an appointment for New Student Registration.

Continuing Students

Continuing students and readmitted students may register during the current semester for the following semester. Times and locations for registration are announced by the registrar.

Former Students Seeking Readmission

Readmit students are those who have previously been accepted and who have attended Mattatuck Community College, Waterbury State Technical College, Naugatuck Valley Community-Technical College or Naugatuck Valley Community College,but who have been away from the College for two years or more.

A student to be readmitted to the college should:

  • Obtain a Readmission Form (available from the Office of the Registrar or program advisor/coordinator or online: nv.edu/registrar.)
  • Meet the advisor/program coordinator to review the program’s current requirements, and plan course selection.
  • Unless previously tested, make arrangements to take the placement test through the Testing Center.
  • If required, provide written documentation regarding proof of measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chicken pox) immunization to the Office of the Registrar (unless previously provided).
  • Contact the Naugatuck Valley Community College Office of the Registrar to ensure that official copies of high school and college transcripts are still on file, especially if the student has been away from the College for five years or longer.
  • Submit official college transcripts if the student has attended another college or university while away from Naugatuck Valley Community College, to the Office of the Registrar K516.
  • The advisor/program coordinator may advise the student to invoke the Fresh Start Option. This option is only available to students with a cumulative GPA less than 2.0 and after an absence of two or more years. A student may invoke a Fresh Start Option only once at Naugatuck Valley Community College and must do so prior to or during the semester of readmission.

Readmit Students - Fresh Start Option

A student readmitted to Naugatuck Valley after an absence of two or more years (four semesters, not including summer) may return without the handicap of a grade average of less than 2.0 earned previously at Naugatuck Valley Community College. To do so, the student must invoke the Fresh Start Option. This Option permits previous grades to be removed from the grade point average. Credit is kept for all courses passed with grades of “P”, “C-“, or higher. There is no credit for previous courses in which grades of “D+” or lower were earned. All courses and grades remain on the record.

A student may invoke Fresh Start Option only once at Naugatuck Valley Community College and must do so prior to or during the semester of readmission. Since Naugatuck Valley is an “open admission/selective placement” college, neither the use of Fresh Start Option nor repeat poor performance precludes further readmission(s) of the student.

The Fresh Start Option does not apply to any completed degree or certificate. A student must complete a minimum of 15 credits after returning to college under the Fresh Start Option to be eligible for a degree or certificate and for graduation honors.

Note: For purposes of grade point average, credit, and Fresh Start Option, courses previously taken at Waterbury State Technical College and/or Mattatuck Community College are considered to be courses taken at Naugatuck Valley Community College.

Cross Registration

Full time students (12 or more credits) may be able to take up to two additional courses for no cost at another state-supported institution of higher education (including the Connecticut State Universities and the University of Connecticut) on a space-available basis if the course is not offered at NVCC.

Registration Between Connecticut Community Colleges

Tuition and fees for students who register for general fund/tuition account courses at multiple colleges within the community-technical college system shall be charged as follows:

  • Full-Time Students - Students who have paid the tuition and fees of a full-time student at their “home” institution shall be exempt from further charges. Copies of the student tuition and fee receipt from the “home” institution should be accepted by the “host” institution in lieu of payment.
  • Part-Time Students - The charges for students who have paid the tuition and fees of a part-time student at their “home” institution and register for additional courses at a “host” institution shall not exceed the amount charged for a full-time student, if the student’s combined registration at the “home” and “host” institutions would classify them as a full-time student. Copies of the student’s tuition and fee receipt from the “home” institution should be accepted by the “host” institution, and the “host” institution should charge the difference between the full-time charges for tuition and fees and amount paid to the “home” institution as indicated on the “home” institution receipt. The “host” institution must notify the “home” institution of the multiple college registration. Any changes in student status which warrant a refund of tuition and fees will be based on the combined registration at the “home” and “host” institutions. Students who register at multiple colleges whose combined student status is less than full-time shall be charged tuition and fees as a part-time student for the semester credits registered at each of the respective colleges.

Overload Permission

Course overloads will not be granted. However, in extenuating circumstances, Division Leaders, with the approval of the Dean of Academic Affairs, may authorize overloads to courses that have reached their limit (closed).

Course Cancellations and Changes

Students will be notified by mail, e-mail, or phone of course cancellations. Courses may be cancelled due to insufficient enrollment. Faculty names and room assignments are subject to change due to required adjustments in the schedule. Students are encouraged to check their course schedules before arriving to their first session to verify the assigned room.

Academic Engagement Policy

Students are required to participate in class in order to receive financial aid. Professors report all students who have not participated in class prior to the census date. The Financial Aid office is informed via email and financial aid is adjusted accordingly (and possibly cancelled). This will most likely result in a bill with the college. Proof of participation (for all classes) can be submitted to the Financial Aid office. If it is determined that the student is engaging in classes, financial aid will be reinstated and the hold will be removed. For the Board of Regents full Academic Engagement Policy see here.


Students may take courses at another college to be transferred to Naugatuck Valley Community College for credit. It is the student’s responsibility to have an official transcript of the course work sent to the Office of the Registrar at NVCC for evaluation purposes. This transcript will be evaluated by the associate registrar and acceptable courses will be posted to the student’s academic record. Students are encouraged to consult the associate registrar to ensure the transferability of a course from another institution before enrolling in the course. Transfer credit shall be awarded for comparable courses completed at other regionally accredited higher education institutions. Only credits for courses with grades of “C” or better or a grade of “P” are accepted in transfer only if transcript legend defines “P” as representing a grade of “C” or better. The letter grade(s) assigned by the other institution shall not be recorded or included in the computation of the student grade point average.

Notwithstanding the number of degree credits which shall be granted in accordance with the foregoing, the student must complete at least 25 percent of the minimum credit requirements for the degree through coursework at the college awarding the degree.

When a student seeks transfer credit for technical or specialty courses into a program that is also accredited by a national or regional specialized accrediting agency, such credits must be from a comparably accredited program. In the case of a request for transfer credit for technical or specialty courses from a non-specially accredited program, the college shall provide appropriate means for the validation of the student’s competency in the technical specialty course areas.

Grade Reports

Semester grades will be available via the web approximately one week after the exam period. To view your grades online go to http://my.commnet.edu.

Transcripts and Enrollment Verification Requests

There is no charge for official transcripts. Official and unofficial transcripts are available at my.commnet.edu via the online student information system, where our Parchment transcript service is available for most students. In the event the Parchment service is not available, a transcript request form can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar either by phone at 203-596-2177 or by email at records@nv.edu.

Enrollment Verifications are available approximately three weeks after the start of each semester. Enrollment Verifications are supplied through the National Student Clearinghouse. Students can print their own Enrollment Verification Certificate via the internet. By using their 8-digit student ID number and PIN, students can log onto http://my.commnet.edu, click on Banner Student & Faculty Self-Service, then on Student Records, and then follow the Enrollment Verification Request link. This will connect directly to the National Clearinghouse. Enrollment verifications are available approximately three weeks after the start of each semester.

Summer and Winter Sessions

Naugatuck Valley Community College welcomes students from other colleges and universities who wish to make up a course or earn advanced standing at their home institution. Credits earned at Naugatuck Valley Community College are generally acceptable at other colleges, but students are advised to consult their home institutions for information regarding transfer of credit.

Naugatuck Valley Community College students may attend the summer or winter session to lighten their study load during the regular academic year or to reduce the time needed to earn their degrees or certificates. Students are encouraged to check the appropriateness of their course selection with their advisors. Course offerings may be viewed online or printed from the College website on my.commnet.edu.

Student Records

Notification of Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request amendment of an education record that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask an appropriate College official to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. The student should write to the College official, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why he/she believes it is inaccurate. The College will notify the student of the decision. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. NOTE: FERPA is not intended to provide a process to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. For example, the right of challenge does not allow a student to contest a grade in a course because the student believes that a higher grade should have been assigned.
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. FERPA permits disclosure without consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A “school official” includes but is not limited to the following:a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including law enforcement and security personnel, counseling and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent or official of the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Trustees who is authorized to act on its behalf; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities.
    FERPA also permits disclosure of education records without consent in connection with, but not limited to:
    • To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;
    • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency;
    • To officials of another school, upon request, in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
    • In connection with a student’s request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;
    • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, to state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs;
    • To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions;
    • To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the College;
    • The results of an institutional disciplinary proceeding against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence to the alleged victim of that crime with respect to that crime.
    • Directory information as defined in the policy of the Board of Trustees.
  4. The right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information about the student, except to school officials with a legitimate educational interest and others as indicated in paragraph 3 above. To do so, a student exercising this right must notify the Office of Registrar in writing. Once filed, this notification becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until the student instructs the College, in writing, to remove it.
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Colleges to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

The Board of Regents has designated the following as directory information: student names and addresses, dates of attendance, full vs. part-time student status, awards and honors and graduation date. For purposes of access by military recruiters only, telephone listings and, if known, age, level of education and major are also designated as directory information.

Colleges may disclose directory information without prior consent, unless a student has exercised the right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information in accordance with paragraph 4 above.