2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jun 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admission Policy

Naugatuck Valley Community College is an open admission institution with selective placement into some programs and courses. Acceptance to any degree or certificate program requires that an applicant be a graduate of an approved secondary school or have earned either a State High School Equivalency Diploma or a General Educational Development (G.E.D.) diploma. Seniors graduating from a CT high school are accepted into a degree or certificate program and permitted to register prior to their date of high school graduation under the condition that they submit proof of high school completion by July 7 of the year in which they graduated high school. Failure to do so will result in the student being removed from their program of study and switched to non-degree status.

Admission to the College does not necessarily mean admission to all courses and programs. Several degree and certificate programs have specific admissions criteria. Please refer to the Programs of Study section of the catalog for specific admission requirements.

Students who do not have a high school diploma or its equivalent may enroll at the College as non-degree students. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, but may take advantage of the Connecticut Tuition Payment Plan.

High school students who demonstrate sufficient scholastic ability and who present written approval from their high school principal or a designated representative may register for courses as non-degree students on a space available basis.

Students may gain admission to Naugatuck Valley in either the fall semester (August) or spring semester (January). In some programs, admission is specifically for the fall or spring semester only.

Classes are offered days, evenings and weekends, as well as online. Part-time students enroll for a maximum of 11 credits; full-time students enroll for a minimum of 12 credits. Courses vary in the amount of credit they carry; however, most courses are worth three (3) credits.

Admission to English as a Second Language Courses

The English as a Second Language (ESL) courses at Naugatuck Valley Community College are designed to serve the needs of nonnative speakers of English. The ESL Department offers a multi-level program to increase students’ proficiencies in English in all four areas: reading, writing, listening and speaking.

In addition to the basic application procedures, a writing sample and the English Proficiency (LOEP) portion of the Accuplacer Placement Test must be completed before students can register for the courses. The English placement for non-native speakers of English is determined by the ESL office and is based primarily on these tests.

Admission to the Allied Health and Nursing Programs

The Allied Health and Nursing programs have specific admission criteria which can be found in the Programs of Study section of the catalog. Admission to these programs is highly selective and based on academic record and assessment testing. A program application for admission must be submitted in addition to the College Application.

Admission to Technology Degree and Certificate Programs

In addition to the standard requirements necessary for admission to the College, students applying for admission to technical degree and certificate programs should possess a solid background in science and mathematics. Refer to the programs of study section of the catalog for details.

Admission to Non-credit Programs

Non-credit programs are open to all citizens in the region for professional and personal development. Formal college application is not required. Registration is accepted for all courses. Certification programs have specific requirements that should be understood prior to registering. Customized programs are specially tailored for organizations and companies that address workforce demands/ needs. Lifelong learning staff are available to provide information. To see full list of programs visit nv.edu/nc. Non-credit staff can be reached at nc@nv.edu or by calling 203-575-8029.

Application Deadlines

The College admits students on a first-come, first-served basis. For the fall semester, which begins in late August or early September, preference is given to applications received by June 1. For the spring semester, which begins in January, preference is given to applications received by December 15. Applicants will be accepted after these dates provided openings are available.

Applications for the Physical Therapist Assistant Program are available in April and must be submitted by August 1. Applications for Radiologic Technology and Respiratory Care Programs are available October 1 and must be submitted by January 15. The online application for the Nursing Program is available November 1 and must be submitted by February 1.

Note: All admission dates to select programs are subject to change. Please meet with your advisor for program updates.

Application Procedures

New Students

The following procedures apply to all individuals planning to enroll in degree or certificate programs for the fall or spring semesters:

  • Complete applications online at NV.edu/apply, please email NVCC@nv.edu with any questions.
  • Request that an official copy of the high school transcript with date of graduation be sent directly to the Admissions Office from the Guidance Department at the high school, or supply a copy of the high school diploma.* Equivalency Diploma recipients must submit a copy of the equivalency diploma or G.E.D. results.

    * Applicants who are presently in high school may submit their completed application form directly to their high school guidance office. The Guidance Office will forward the application, fee and high school transcript directly to the Admissions Office.
  • All new and transfer students seeking admission into a degree program who were born after 12/31/56 are required by state law to submit immunization documentation for two (2) doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Those born as of 1/1/80 also need to submit documentation for two (2) doses of varicella (chicken pox).

Placement Test (ACCUPLACER®)

All new and transfer students enrolling in degree or certificate programs are required to take the placement test, unless an exemption is granted. NVCC uses the Accuplacer computerized adaptive placement test to assess academic skills in English, reading and mathematics. Advisors will use the results to make decisions about the level of courses students are prepared to take. This is not an admission test. Prior to taking the test, an application for admission must be completed. Applicants will receive information on test schedules by e-mail once their application has been processed.

An exemption may be granted to students who:

  • completed coursework in a college level English and/or math course with a grade of “C” or better
  • scored 18 or higher on the ACT Math exam
  • scored 21 or higher on the ACT English exam OR scored 47 or higher on the ACT English and Reading portions combined
  • have achieved the appropriate Advanced Placement (AP) or College Level Examination Program (CLEP) scores
  • have taken the ACCUPLACER® placement test at another community college or university
  • prior to March 2016: scored 500 or higher on the Old SAT Math Section.
  • effective March 2016: scored 530 or higher on the New SAT Math Section.
  • prior to March 2016: scored 450 or higher on the Old SAT Critical Reading or Writing Sections.
  • effective March 2016: scored 26 or higher on the New SAT Writing and Language Test; OR scored 25 or higher on the New SAT Reading Test; OR scored 510 or higher on the New Evidence Based Reading/Writing Section.
  • Scored 165 or higher on the GED Math Reasoning Test
  • Scored 165 or higher on the GED Reasoning Language Arts Test

Appropriate documentation (transcripts, final semester grade report, GED, SAT or ACT score report, ACCUPLACER® score report, AP scores, CLEP scores) must be submitted to the Admissions Office for review to determine if the requirements for exemption are met.

Students are encouraged to schedule their test as soon as possible to ensure availability of classes at the time of registration. Appointments for the Waterbury and Danbury Campuses can be scheduled on nv.edu/accuplacer.

If you have a documented disability and will require testing adjustments, please contact the Counselor for Students with Disabilities at (203) 596-8608. To obtain adjustments, you must schedule an appointment and provide documentation that describes your disability and supports the need for these adjustments. This should be done at least  one week prior to the test date. Adjustments will only be provided to those individuals who have completed this process.

Transfer Students

Transfer students who have not previously attended Naugatuck Valley must follow the procedures for New Students.

Students who are interested in receiving credit for course work completed at another institution must request that an official copy of their college transcript be sent to the Admissions Office at Naugatuck Valley. Students who have attended institutions outside Connecticut should also provide course descriptions for the courses they would like to transfer.

Transfer credit may be granted for comparable courses completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities. The total amount of transfer credit granted may not exceed 75 percent of the credits required by the College in a specific program. Transfer credits will not be used in the calculation of grade point averages. For more information see “Transfer Courses ” section.

Placement testing may be waived for transfer students who have earned an associate’s degree or higher or who have completed college level English and/or mathematics with grade of “C” or better. SAT or ACT scores may also be acceptable.  

Immunization Requirements

By law, all higher education institutions in Connecticut require each full-time or matriculating student born after December 31, 1957 to provide proof of adequate immunizations before permitting the student to enroll.

New and Transfer Students

If you were born after December 31, 1956, Connecticut State Law requires that all full-time (degree seeking and non-degree/ non-matriculating) and part-time matriculating students enrolled in postsecondary schools be adequately protected against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). In addition, all full-time and matriculating students, except those born in the continental United States prior to January 1, 1980, must provide proof of immunization against varicella (chicken pox). Students must have two (2) doses of each vaccine administered at least one (1) month apart to insure adequate immunization.

Exemptions: Any student (new or transfer) who (1) presents a certificate from a physician stating that in the opinion of the physician such immunization is medically contraindicated; (2) provides a written statement that such immunization would be contrary to their religious beliefs; (3) provides a laboratory report documenting immunity; or (4) provides a physician’s statement of confirmation of disease.

If students are unable to provide the above data due to a documented medical condition, an explanatory statement on office letterhead from an attending physician must be submitted to the college. Students may present serologic (blood test) evidence in place of the vaccination to verify immunity. An actual laboratory report must be presented documenting immunity.

  • The law also allows for exemption due to religious beliefs. A student requesting a religious exemption must submit a written statement that such immunization would be contrary to his/her religious beliefs.
  • Failure to comply with these guidelines will prevent course registration, release of transcripts, and eligibility for financial aid.
  • In the event of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella or varicella on this campus, students who are not in compliance (including a medical or religious exemption), will be excluded from classes for a minimum of 18 days per incubation period or until their immunizations are complete.

Services for Special Student Populations

International Student Admission

Students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States, but who are interested in studying at Naugatuck Valley Community College, may do so by applying as international students.

Application Deadlines for F-1 Applicants

Students are admitted for the fall and spring terms. We recommend that international students apply by the following dates:

  • The fall term begins in August; the application deadline is June 15.
  • The spring term begins in January; the application deadline is November 1.

International students planning to attend Naugatuck Valley on an F-1 student visa must present the following documents:

Admission Application and Fee

  • A Naugatuck Valley Community College application is required. The application form is available as a downloadable PDF file at nv.edu/Apply or you can request it by mail from the Admissions Office. The college’s web application process is not designed for use by international students. You must mail your application.

You must present the following documents with your completed application form:

Academic Records

  • Proof of your graduation from high school or university, in the form of a diploma or transcript (translated to English). You may be asked to use a foreign transcript evaluation service, such as the following:
    • World Education Services
      P.O. Box 5087
      Bowling Green Station
      New York, NY 10274
      Phone (212) 966-6311 or (800) 937-3895
      Fax (212) 739-6100
    • Center for Educational Documentation, Inc.
      Evaluation Service
      PO Box 170116
      Boston, MA 02117
      Phone: (617) 338-7171
      Fax: (617) 338-7101
      E-mail: info@cedevaluations.com
      Web site: www.cedevaluations.com
    • Globe Language Service, Inc.
      Evaluation Service
      305 Broadway Ste. 401
      New York, NY 10007
      Phone: (212) 227-1994
      Fax: (212) 693-1489
      E-mail: info@globelanguage.com
      Web site: www.globelanguage.com

Immunization Records

Proof of immunization must be provided. Refer to the section on immunization requirements.

Evidence of English Proficiency

International students are required to submit proof of English proficiency. Preferably, applicants should take the TOEFL test and achieve a score of 500 on the paper test or 61 on the Internet-based test. The IELTS exam is also acceptable. Enrollment in English as a Second Language coursework may be required until a higher level of English proficiency is attained.

Forms and Documentation Needed for Form I-20

International students who are in F-1 visa status, or who need F-1 visa status, must work with the international student advisor to obtain the Form I-20. In order to receive the Form I-20, international students must prove that they have the funds immediately available to pay for the first year of tuition and living expenses. To apply for the I-20, students must submit the forms and documentation listed below.

  1. International Student Information Sheet.
  2. Certification of Finances: This form contains a summary of the student’s financial resources and ability to pay for tuition, fees, and living expenses.
  3. Promise of Cash Support signed by the sponsor and notarized: This form states that the sponsor will assume some or all responsibility for the student’s expenses during his/her stay in the U.S. The form must be supplemented by bank documentation proving availability of the promised funds.
  4. Promise of Free Room and Board: This form is necessary if a local sponsor is providing the student’s housing and food.
  5. Copy of passport identity pages.
  6. Students who are already in the U.S. should provide copies of the I-94 card and visa stamp. Students applying from outside the U.S. will need to bring these documents to the international student advisor upon arrival.

The Form I-20 will not be issued until all of the above items have been received and the applicant has been admitted. Students will then be advised on how to pay the $200 SEVIS fee required by the Department of Homeland Security. Please contact the International Student Advisor with any questions or concerns: (203) 575-8010.


There are no dormitories on campus. International students must arrange for their own housing.


NVCC is a commuter college and students are expected to make arrangements for transportation to and from the College. Upon verification of payment of the student activities fee, credit students qualify for a local Waterbury bus pass. International students may not be immediately eligible for a Connecticut driver’s license.

Tuition, Fees and Living Expenses for 2018-2019

Tuition and Fees*  
(based on 12 credits per term) $2,426 (in-state) / $4,852 (per-year)
Books and supplies $1,200 (per year)
Room and Board $4,650
Transportation $2,400
Personal Expenses $3,000
Total $16,102
*Subject to change full-time, full-year, in-state, not living with parents

The above is only an estimate. International students with families need to add $1,500 per dependent accompanying them.

Out-of-State Fees

All holders of temporary visas (e.g. F, J, and H) will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate, unless and until they present evidence of an approved or pending change to permanent residency, as well as evidence that establishes Connecticut residency in accordance with state law.

Transferring In for International Students

If you are transferring to Naugatuck Valley from another school in the United States, you must follow these additional steps:

  1. Provide a copy of your current I-20
  2. Notify the DSO (Designated School Official) at your current school that you plan to transfer to NVCC and ask him/her to:
    • a. Enter into the SEVIS information system your “intent to transfer.”
    • b. Enter into SEVIS a “transfer release date.”
    • c. Complete the bottom portion of the Transfer Verification Form (available from the NVCC International Student Advisor).

Non-Degree Students

Students who are interested in enrolling in individual credit courses, but who are not interested in pursuing a degree or certificate program, may elect to enroll as non-degree seeking students. Non-degree students complete a College Admissions Application at the time of registration. In some cases, non-degree students may be required to take academic skills assessment tests in English or mathematics and/or provide proof that prerequisites for specific courses have been met. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, but may take advantage of the Connecticut Tuition Payment Plan. Non-degree students are not permitted to register for a full-time course load (12 credits or more).

Underage Students

All students under the age of 18 must complete the following prior to registering for classes:

  • Application for Admission
  • Secondary Education Validation Form and the Accuplacer® Assessment Test
  • Interview with the Assistant Director and a parent must be present. The interview is mandatory.

Students who will be turning 18 years of age during their year of graduation from high school and will not be attending the college until after their high school graduation do not need to complete the Secondary Education Form or meet with the Assistant Director.

At Naugatuck Valley Community College, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights belong to the student, regardless of age. A “student” is a person who attends an educational institution that maintains educational records or personally identifiable information. Parents of community college students do not have a right to access their children’s student records. In accordance with this regulation, students’ college records will be released to parents only with the observed written consent of the student.

Senior Citizens

Tuition, the college service and student activity fees are waived for Connecticut residents 62 years of age or over on a space available basis. Special fees such as material or supplemental fees must still be paid. Registration under this waiver begins on the first day of the semester/session and is restricted to classes with available seats. Non-credit Lifelong Learning courses are not eligible for tuition waiver.


In addition to completing the basic application procedures, veterans should contact the Veterans’ Affairs Office at the College by calling 203-575-8006 prior to registering for classes. Once registered, the Veterans’ Affairs Office will certify enrollment to the Veterans’ Administration. To expedite the process of applying for benefits, the veteran should bring a DD214 (separation papers).

According to the Dependent Educational Assistance Act, wives and children of totally disabled veterans, widows and children of deceased veterans, and 100 percent totally disabled veterans are eligible to receive educational assistance while attending school. To expedite the process of applying for benefits, supporting documentation such as a marriage or birth certificate should be brought to the Veterans’ Affairs Office. Veterans who served on active duty during specific periods of conflict may be eligible for tuition waivers. For more information, call Veterans’ Affairs at 203-575-8006.

NVCC Office of Veteran Affairs offers a Veterans’ Room where they can meet, network, and share experiences. The Veterans’ Oasis is located in S411.

Admission with Advanced Standing

Academic Credit for Military Experience

Veterans may obtain transfer credit for courses successfully completed in the United States Armed Forces schools, provided that such courses are judged the equivalent of, and are applicable toward, degree requirements. Three credits in physical education are also granted for the completion of Basic Training.

Academic Credit for Work/Life Experience

Naugatuck Valley promotes the practice of awarding credit in recognition of learning acquired through life experiences such as employment, volunteer activities, military training, special seminars and other methods. Students may apply for the evaluation of prior learning through one or more of the procedures listed:

Credit by Examination - Students may elect to have prior learning evaluated by either of the following examination options:

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows individuals to earn college credit for what they already know. NVCC awards credit for successful scores on CLEP exams. CLEP tests may be taken at Naugatuck Valley through the Testing Center.
  • Credit by Examination - Some divisions and departments of the College produce their own examinations. Please contact your advisor or the testing center for more information.

Academic Credit for College Career Pathways (formerly Tech Prep)

A high school graduate who was registered as a CCP student at their high school through the CCP program can apply their earned college credits toward a program of study at Naugatuck Valley Community College. A qualified high school student had to successfully complete approved articulated courses in 10th, 11th and/or 12th grade with a grade of “C” or better. The CCP student may be required to take the placement tests at the College. Parents of students under the age of 18 may be required to sign a parental consent form. For more information, contact the Academic Dean’s Office.

Advanced Placement Testing

Naugatuck Valley Community College, in alignment with state and national standards, grants academic credit on the basis of scores on the Advanced Placement Examinations (AP Exams) administered by the College Entrance Examination Board.  Students who earn a score of 3 or higher receive credit for the courses for which the exams are stipulated as measures.  All score reports must be submitted to Admissions.

New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) Reciprocal Program

Naugatuck Valley Community College is authorized to participate in the NEBHE Reciprocal Program which is designed to encourage interstate enrollments in publicly supported degree granting institutions. A reciprocal agreement has been arranged among the six New England states to implement this program. Under this agreement, students enrolled in the NEBHE program pay tuition and fees which are substantially less than those listed for out-of-state residents.

A New England resident is eligible to participate in the program provided:

  • The program of study is not offered at an in-state institution.
  • The program of study is offered at both in-state and out-of-state institutions and the out-of-state institution is closer in traveling time to the applicant’s legal residence.

Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the College and fall within the quota arrangements of the program. All other out-ofstate applicants are required to pay the non-resident tuition and fees.

The NEBHE program is subject to change at any time.

Catalog Year Policy

Students are responsible for completing the requirements for their major and degree that were in place upon their admittance to the College as matriculated (degree-seeking) students - this is considered the student’s catalog year. (Note: If a student is readmitted to the College following a withdrawal or dismissal, he or she is responsible to complete the requirements in place on the new matriculation date.) Students may change their catalog year to the most current for their major by contacting the Registrar.